What’s in your diet? A healthy diet includes foods that nourish the digestive system, which in turn can help remove toxins from the body. Did you know that toxins can cause cellulite? Diet can also have an effect on hormones. Hormones tell our body to either store or burn fat. For instance, cortisol is a hormone that gets released when you have stress. Cortisol is bad for the body as it builds up fat and causes more cellulite to occur.
So, what is in a good diet?
Whole fresh foods, such as:
- Healthy Fats (in moderation EFAs and MCFAs) – Such as avocados, olive oil, nuts & fish. Coconut oil and wild-caught fish contain fatty acids that can promote healthy tissue. Firming Body Butter and Firming Coffee scrub contains coconut oil.
- Flaxseeds – Flax is great for skin health and losing weight as it modulates estrogen levels and may also increase collagen production.
- Potassium-Rich Foods – Flushing excess fluids and waste out of cells can help reduce cellulite. Green leafy vegetables, avocados, bananas, coconut water and cultured dairy are all high in potassium.
- Kelp – It can help the body burn fat, thus reducing the appearance of cellulite. Add kelp to your diet by sprinkling a small amount onto your savory meals.
- High-Fiber Foods – These include vegetables, nuts, seeds and berries. Fiber helps cleanse the colon, curb hunger, support your metabolism and balance hormones. Eat high-fiber foods containing lots of antioxidants, such as leafy greens or berries. High-fiber foods are also beneficial because of their ability to decrease free radical damage (which ages skin).
- Hydrating Foods – These include fresh veggies and fruit, especially melon, berries, celery, citrus fruits and fresh herbs.
- Fruits – Focus on eating mildly sweet and astringent fruits. Fresh fruits are better than dried. Avoid overly sweet, sour, heavy, dense and watery fruits like bananas, coconut, dates, pineapple or plums. Also try to eat fruits by themselves and not mixed in with other foods to help with digestion.
- Vegetables – Focus on eating pungent, bitter and astringent veggies. Cooked veggies are easier to digest than raw, so limit your raw veggie intake. Avoid dense, oily, watery vegetables like potato, cucumber, olives.
- Grains – Focus on eating light, dry and rough grains. But reduce grain consumption overall if you can. Avoid grains that are heavy, moist or dense like wheat, flour, breads, cooked oats and pasta. Replace these grains with extra veggies and/or legumes.
- Eat more Gluten free starches and grains like quinoa.
- Legumes – Legumes are an astringent food, which is a balancing taste for anyone overweight or dealing with cellulite. Cook your legumes well and use spices to help assist digestion.
- Spices – Spices, help with digestion, are always recommended. Use spices freely to boost your metabolism and help your body improve circulation and elimination.
- Clean Protein – Choose high-quality protein foods like grass-fed beef, free-range poultry, pastured eggs, wild-caught fish, lean meat and organic protein powder as they can increase metabolism and aid in cellulite reduction.
- Collagen – Layers of the skin are comprised of collagen. So when the skin is strong, cellulite appearance is diminished. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body and is needed for skin’s elasticity, youthful texture and strength. One of the best ways to get more collagen is from consuming bone broth. Bone broth contains amino acids called proline and glycine that make up collagen; along with important trace minerals and even antioxidant compounds. The collagen in bone broth can strengthen skin tissue and help reverse the underlying causes of cellulite. Patients taking 2.5 grams of Bioactive Collagen Peptides (BCP) experienced “significant decreases in the degree of cellulite and reduced skin waviness on thighs….BCP taken for 6 months led to a clear improvement of the skin appearance in women suffering from moderate cellulite.” And as expected, the results were most impressive in women who were overweight.
Do you suffer from cellulite and need more help than just eating right. Try this Firming Body Butter, which shows results within one month.